Thursday, October 6, 2011

Getting into DYNAMO

I'm Daehyun Kim, one of the group members who will write here. I arrived at Gan Island, Maldives yesterday to participate into the DYNAMO. In this blog, I'd like to share some glances of my 30-hour journey from New York City (A in the map below) to Gan Island (B).
View Larger Map
First I went to Doha, Qatar and took a flight to Male, after waiting 7(!) hours.
The second flight brought me to Male, the capital of Maldives.
Yeah, I arrived at Maldives! Look at the color of water!
On the way from Male to Gan Island, I was given the 'Equator Crossing Certificate', which means I came into the southern hemisphere for the first time in my life!
Finally, I got arrived at Gan Iland! It was very nice day, although I wanted to see thunderstorms and heavy rain associated with MJO event here.
After arriving at Gan Island around 1pm, I couldn't wait until tomorrow to see the radars deployed here. So I rode a bike to the S-Pol radar. It is gorgeous, isn't it?
It is really exciting being here and seeing how observations that I use in my research are made. In my following blogs, I will try to introduce what is going on here. Coming soon!

1 comment: