Saturday, October 22, 2011

A Walk About Town

In addition to writing that long post below, I also did a few other things today. For a change of scenery (and because a few of the radar people took the morning off), I moved my office for the day to a quiet corner of the hotel patio. Not a bad office.

At lunchtime, I walked about the neighborhoods on the island of Fedu to get a bite to eat and buy bread for my peanut butter and jelly sandwiches at the radar site (the radar site is relatively isolated from places to eat). Here is a shot of a typical street on Addu Atoll, featuring the crushed reef surface I mentioned in a previous post. Banana trees abound.

The typical houses consist of plastered cinder block or stone walls and metal roofs.

Some of the houses and yards are absolutely immaculate and I felt leery of walking too close so as to not disturb a rock on the sidewalk or knock a leaf off a tree.

I even came across the “Climate Change” store. It seemed to be raised up a few feet from the other buildings :).

No comments:

Post a Comment